There may come a time when we might need inspiration, support, and help to navigate life’s challenges. For a Gursikh, Satsangat is that place – where one can listen, learn and apply. Sangat has the power to transform an individual while offering coping strategies for life’s ups and downs. It’s not surprising that our Gurus had the utmost respect for the satsangat.
In sangat, we learn the real purpose of our lives, which is to meet Waheguru while alive. One of the places to connect with sangat is at samagams. Samagams present us with the time and solitude necessary to rejuvenate and reflect on the teachings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, which is essential for spiritual growth.
Let’s take a look at other reasons to join satsangat and samagams:
- Breakaway from daily routine. Samagams help us break our monotonous routine and rejuvenate our inner self. We’re able to discover Gurbani-inspired perspectives which can help us think more clearly and solve problems differently. This is not only beneficial for ourselves but for our families.
- Listen and learn. With no distractions from your phone, TV or email, you can listen and learn from the teachings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Families have the opportunity to learn more about gurbani, simran, jeevan jaach, and how these core concepts relate to every stage in life.
- Apply the teachings. Sangat is a platform where one can learn how to apply the teachings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Through samagams, we slowly transform from being a passive Sikh to a Guru-inspired Sikh. Our goal should not only be to acquire knowledge but also learn how to apply core Sikhi concepts in our everyday life.
- Share experiences and help others. Samagams attract Gursikhs from all walks of life. It’s helpful to meet others who have similar life struggles you can relate to and have learned how to apply Sikh concepts. These people become your support system as you work towards your spiritual goals. Most importantly, sangat lets you realize that you’re not alone in your journey and your challenges are not always unique.
- Hit refresh. With an energized mind and a fresh perspective, you’re able to go back to your everyday life and re-start your journey. You can implement newly learned ways of tackling daily life challenges through gurbani, simran and jeevan jaach. This is one way that Waheguru provides a new opportunity to work towards the purpose of your life.
- More economical than vacations. Samagams are much more economical and cost-effective as opposed to regular vacations. You don’t have to worry about things like meals, accommodations or transportation. Local sevadars will take care of all of this. Samagams have long-term benefits in the form of applicable lessons from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, while vacations only provide fleeting moments of pleasure.
- Investment for the future. While we meticulously plan for our kids’ education and personal retirement through regular savings plans, we often forget to pay attention to our personal and family’s spiritual well-being. Spending our time and money to attend satsangat and samagams is an investment for an enriched and healthier spiritual life. Attending samagams and satsangat is our investment to advance spiritually.
Take action: Sign up for the biggest samagam of 2019 in North America at Gurdwara Sahib of San Jose, California, June 21 to June 23. The theme of this samagam: How can I hear God’s voice? Learn more about how you can register: Gurmat Samagam.